The storm raged on.
This may not be the best idea I’ve ever had in my life, but I’m hiking that 150 miles of the PCT anyway. Right through this storm. But it ain’t gonna hike itself.
What should’ve been a 2.5 hour drive home from Sacramento was an 8 hour drive through blinding snow and sweet-talking Caltrans into letting us through on a closed road. It was icy and dangerous but the storm raged on and didn’t care that we needed to get home. It didn’t care that if we didn’t get home tonight, I’d miss my flight to get down to the PCT in the first place. It didn’t care if we were safe or dead.
It was a honey badger. It don’t give a shit.
So we eventually dragged ourselves up the staircase to our lovely home, exhausted and bedraggled and barely made it to the bedroom before we passed-the-fuck-out. And then it was morning and I changed my flight to leave from Reno instead of Sacramento so I didn’t have to drive through that monster storm again. And now I just hope it can leave from Reno…
And the storm told itself it was a badass and could kill anyone it wants to. My family isn’t exactly pleased with my decision to go, but my heart doesn’t know how to say no to the trail.
I can always pull the rip cord if I want to later…but I have to try.